Mirror in the kitchen - a thing useful and necessary, but not always. The main purpose of the mirror surface is to expand the room visually, to make it bright and at least a little spacious. In the kitchen, which is already large, it is needed only as an accent, and then if the designer has a desire to use it. Which material is better to choose? What place will be the most suitable? Everything in detail later in the article.
Content of this article:
What should be the mirror?
Mirrors are very different, and their size, material and appearance will determine where they look best and which style will best fit.return to menu ↑
With the size everything is simple - the smaller the kitchen, the larger the mirror. On a tiny square in Khrushchev, a real mirror wall will look good, and in the large kitchen of a country house there will be enough of a small table mirror. There are:
- Full-wall mirrors. The mirror wall is a beautiful accent, but not everyone is comfortable to constantly see the movements of the reflection. In addition, it will cost dearly. Growth. Large, reflecting the person completely, but narrow. It looks beautiful, the reflections do not cling to my eyes, plus it costs less. Minus - it is not clear how to place so that it was appropriate.
- In half of human growth and less. Small, often combined together to cover the kitchen apron or the space above the stove. Reflections are not visible all the time, but there is still more light than without a mirror.
- Very small. They can act as an accent - for example, a mirror placed on a shelf will attract attention to it, and a mirror insert next to the lamp emphasizes its originality and multiplies the light.
Size should be chosen according to your needs and means.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: Dressing table with mirror and light: 140+ (Photo) Options for your bedroomreturn to menu ↑
The mirror surface can be obtained in different ways. Are used:
- Glass. Glass mirrors - traditional, but expensive and heavy.From simple glass, they are also fragile, because they usually recommend buying tempered or triplex.
- Plastic film. If you gently stick, gives quite a reliable effect. The main thing - to smooth all wrinkles and bubbles. Sensitive to aggressive chemistry, serves much less than glass, but it is cheaper and does not break.
- Acrylic. Thin plastic replacement glass. You do not need to glue anywhere, you can put or hang. Acryl is light, does not fight, is cheap, but over time we have the property to become cloudy and afraid of mechanical damage - it will crack from the impact.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: Design through the looking glass - Small and large Mirrors in the interior of the apartment (290+ Photos)return to menu ↑
Differently trimmed mirrors look different and different notes bring into the interior.
- Colored glass. It can be of any color, depending on it has a different impression. So, in the mirrors of warm shades, the whole world looks cozy and kind. But in cold shades, on the contrary, strict. It is better not to hang a large colored glass in the kitchen. Better - a small tile of different colors. It looks unusual, original, plus the inhabitants of the apartment do not have to look at their own reflections of an unusual color.
- Frosted glass without pattern. The frosted mirror looks a bit unusual: it is as if covered with small hollows, due to which it is impossible to see the reflection. It looks interesting, but, again, large glass with such a finish is better not to hang it - it is devoid of the merits of an ordinary mirror. It is better to use the tile, alternating reflective and matte elements in the pattern.
- Frosted glass with a pattern. It looks more interesting than without a picture. The same result is sandblasting and the drawing can be absolutely anything. Flowers and patterns are especially popular, but you can choose birds, or a person’s face, or something else more unusual. Such glass can be used instead of a picture, but the advantages of an ordinary mirror are also deprived.
- Aged glass. In some places blackened, in some places dimmed, in places even with cracks. Fits perfectly with vintage and similar styles, where aged things play the role of accessories. But in modern and conventional classical styles will not take root and will look foreign.
- Facet glass. It differs from the others in that it has a texture. It can be a simple geometric pattern (diamonds are especially common), it can be complicated. These mirrors look great in classic styles. Often they can be made to order, according to the sketch of the client.
- Mirror tile. Small mirrors joined together in a pattern. The effect is a bit similar to the effect of facet glass, but still different. You can include matte or color elements in the tile pattern.
Additional step in design - backlight. It further distinguishes the mirror from the surrounding interior. It can be down spots, small LED lamps, or LED strip of any color. In such a mirror look nice.
Where to place in the kitchen?
Even in the smallest kitchen for the mirror there are at least a few places.return to menu ↑
Above the stove
The mirror hanged over the stove is not very suitable for expanding and increasing the space, but it makes an excellent accent that emphasizes the stove and the hood. If they are beautiful, modern and really worth seeing, this is a good place.
However, before hanging the glass here, you should think about the fact that it will inevitably get dirty and you will have to wash it often from splashes of broth, grease, juice and traces of steam.
Acrylic mirrors do not hang here and do not attach plastic film - they are too sensitive to high temperatures.return to menu ↑
To decorate the kitchen apron with mirrors means to focus on the kitchen set. If he is handsome, modern, stylish, this is a good idea.
But the minus is the same as with the stove: splashes of fat, juice, pieces of food will fall on the mirrors. Once a week, all this will have to be washed off with aggressive chemistry. Therefore, neither acrylic nor plastic film is attached here either - they will quickly become useless under such conditions.return to menu ↑
Above the shelf
If the interior contains open shelves under the dishes, trinkets or tools, mirrors can be hung over them - or even mirrored the shelves themselves.
This will give the interior airiness and lightness, the shelves in it will begin to look like small niches. It is important, however, that the structures should be made of acrylic, because if the glass shelf falls, it can cripple someone. In addition, the present glass is slippery. With him things can fall.
It is easier to choose plastic, with which there are no such problems.return to menu ↑
Over the sink
The mirror over the sink is not only an ornament, but also an opportunity to clean up if the bath is busy. However, it is necessary to hang it up carefully: not too low, so that no splashes fall on it, not too high, so that all family members can comfortably reach.
It should be wide about the width of the shell, should not be too small in itself.
It will have to be washed every week, because water will inevitably fall on it. Because it is better to choose glass - acrylic and plastic film from the water grow turbid.return to menu ↑
In the kitchen there are many places where you can place small mirrors. Above the shelves in the cabinets, make mirrored doors, make small mirror inserts.
- Above the shelves to insert mirrors makes sense only if the cabinets in the headset are open and anyone can look inside. Otherwise, the beauty of such a decision will simply be lost.
- Mirror doors must be made of acrylic, otherwise they will be too heavy and too unstable to mechanical damage.
- Small mirror inserts are a great idea. They can be from real glass, they can be colored or opaque, they can be any, of the most intricate, shape. Visually, they will not expand anything, but they will attract attention and look beautiful.
Often mirrors are included in the headset immediately. But sometimes it is easier to insert them yourself, than to buy new furniture.return to menu ↑
On the wall
On the wall the mirror is best revealed: it reflects the light, enlarges the kitchen, looks beautiful.
Here it can be absolutely anything. Small and rounded, large and square, mirrored tiles, with matte or color inserts, with or without light.
The choice is limited solely by the imagination of the designer.
A mirror may not even be one - it can be a whole mirror wall.return to menu ↑
Interesting look paintings, vases and photo frames, decorated with pieces of mirrors.return to menu ↑
Ceiling with mirror
With the help of a mirrored ceiling, you can add a touch of refinement and exotics to a boring interior.return to menu ↑
Over the table
The dining area can also be arranged with mirrors.return to menu ↑
VIDEO: The best options for placing a mirror in the kitchen
How to place a mirror in the kitchen?
Successful options for your design
The main thing - to choose a mirror that fits into a particular kitchen and to the tastes of a particular family. To do this, you can not only think, but also draw sketches, and even use a computer, trying on which option would be ideal.return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
PHOTO GALLERY (more than 85 photos)
Are you afraid of mirrors in the kitchen? Do you think this is something unreal and unacceptable? We will prove to you that in the kitchen there are a lot of places where you can organically fit the mirror without harming the interior.
- it allows you to visually expand the space, which, in an apartment with a small kitchenette, is very useful, it can be an excellent accent, concentrate attention where the owners want, and distract from what they would not like to flaunt; it can be simply beautiful .
- you must first choose it, then buy it, then take it to the house, then fix it, and if it turns out that the place was chosen incorrectly, you have to fix it again - all this takes time, effort and money; it can fall, break or even injure someone then; it is not appropriate everywhere - in the same provenance there will be no sense from him.